Grosvenor Arms17 Sidney Road
Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic this pub is currently offering additional services:
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
Cause for celebration at last! Remarkably, a modern craft beer bar with 25 taps including five cask beers and two ciders now exists here, opened on 22 March 2019, leased from Golfrate by Tom, the licensee at the Priory Arms a mile northwards. Fresh pizza served daily til 10pm.
Formerly the Grosvenor for a few years, this mid-Victorian two bar corner pub had an impressive 1898 function room at the rear staging live music four or five times a week. It was a thriving community local sustained by an energetic and enthusiastic leaseholder whose efforts secured the long awaited reinstatement of real ale in 2009. Closed on 31 July 2014 and boarded up with a view to residential conversion above, it was granted Asset of Community Value status by Lambeth Council in August 2015 after a successful campaign by local residents, the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) and local councillors. Golfrate had taken over from Punch in 2013 but Hamna Wakaf emerged as the owner fighting the ACV, which remained applicable to the ground floor and cellar only following a First-tier Tribunal hearing in May 2016. Residential conversion above and around was finally allowed by the Planning Inspectorate shamefully overruling Lambeth Councillors' refusal of successive planning applications.