Swan1 Evershed Walk, 119 Acton Lane
Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic this pub is currently offering additional services:
To check the reopening date of this pub use the link below to view our list of pubsmore information...
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
Street corner pub dating from 1871, which retains a local drinking character despite the addition of a well-regarded gastropub area into part of the original garden – still one of the best pub gardens in West London. The ever-present Timothy Taylors Landlord is joined by St Austell Tribute. The pub exterior regularly appeared in a 1980s sitcom, and familiar faces from current TV can often now be seen. From 'Acton's Pubs and Inns (1989) : "At the Acton Green end of Acton Lane, the lane takes a sharp right turn and then a left turn round an old field boundary. On the corner of this last turn stands the Swan. Acton Lane is an ancient way and there was a cluster of cottages here in early days. The pub is however first recorded in 1871 when the publican was James Brown who owned the house when it passed to the Phoenix Brewery, Latimer Road. The area around that part of Acton Lane was built up rapidly during that period. The pub passed to the Law Guarantee Trust and in 1909 to Charringtons. It survived the rebuilding in the area, was renovated and added to ; although the original house can still be seen. It still retains its original garden and some of the trees." It is rumoured that the pub survived demolition in the 1970s as part of the building of the Beaconsfield Road Council Estate next door because the then Leader of the Council was a regular there.