Duke of Sussex75 South Parade
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
The Duke of Sussex is named after one of Queen Victoria's uncles rather than Meghan's husband. It dates from the 1840s and was originally owned by a Suffolk Brewer. By the 1890s it was owned by the Cannon Brewery of Clerkenwell and later by the Lion Brewery, For much of the 20th century it was a Taylor Walker house. Rebuilt in 1898 with a mock Tudor frontage, it has a central island counter with exposed floorboards, alcove seating and etched glass screens. Up to five (but usually three) rotating guest ales are available. mostly from London and the Home Counties. The rear room, the decorative ceiling of which is listed, is dedicated to diners and leads through to a large and welcoming garden with hidden corners. It is both a local and a gastro-pub. There is generally a pub quiz here on Sunday evenings. Next to the terminus of the 94 bus.