Builders Arms13 Britten Street
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
Built to serve the needs of masons and workmen employed in the construction of St. Luke's church opposite, erected 1820-24, it later served as the tap for Matthews & Cannings Anchor Brewery which stood next door. The brewery was taken over by Whitbread in 1899 with brewing continuing until 1907. Now it is a modernised, trendy but friendly venue with separate areas: the Nook, the Dining Room and the Bar. Sofas and comfortable seating plus trademark Hippo Inns quirky decor such as gold pineapple wall lights. Three real ales and an extensive food menu. The lease of the pub reverted to Ei Group who reopened it under the Hippo Inns managed partnership in August 2019.