Coopers Arms87 Flood Street
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
The original Coopers Arms, licensed in 1831 as a beer house, was demolished in 1874 and rebuilt forty feet south of its original position to allow for the extension of Redsdale Street into Queen Street (as Flood Street was then called). The fine decorative frontage of London Brick and, above ground-floor level, the attractive architrave window surrounds with moulded cornice hoods and pediments, are all noteworthy.
Today, this popular pub, half-way between the King's Road and the Embankment, is one of just two in Chelsea tied to Young’s. The spacious 'L'-shaped area around the bar is furnished with comfortable chairs and tables. Five handpumps presently dispense a choice of three real ales, but the range may expand to one pump per ale. An interesting menu offers good food at reasonable prices for the area.
The only Master Cooper left in the country is now Alastair Simms at the White Rose Cooperage, but the tradition will carry on as, in 2016, Kean Hiscock signed his indentures as an apprentice cooper for this ancient trade.