Mawson Arms / Fox & Hounds110 Chiswick Lane South
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
The Grade II*-listed Fuller's brewery tap will be familiar to those who have been on the brewery tour. Called the Fox & Dogs until 1772, then the Fox & Hounds until 1898, the Mawson Arms name now honours Thomas Mawson who first began brewing on the Fullers site in the late 17th century. The single-storey extension in Mawson Row, that now only externally bears The Fox & Hounds name, may be a legacy of the once separate licences for beer and spirits, although now the pub trades only as the Mawson Arms. A welcoming pub, with its big windows, polished wooden floors, stools beside the attractive bar and ranks of dining tables, many pre-booked for the tour parties, features two delightful wooden fireplaces. Brewery memorabilia on the walls include ancestral portraits of the Fuller, Smith and Turner families and some price lists from the fifties and sixties.
Most of the Fuller's real ales are available and the brewery's keg offering usually available includes Black Cab, Frontier, Wild River and Honeydew. The pub is well known for its quality food which includes pub classics, platters and winter ploughmans. Now open for breakfast too, but note the restricted evening hours.
For those needing a takeaway, the brewery shop is a few yards down the lane towards the river and sells a range of delights such as the various years of Vintage Ale. The shop is open Mon-Fri 10am-8pm, and Sat 10am-3pm and offers a discount to CAMRA members.